When I first became ill and we realized that I was being exposed to mold and had an allergy as well, I thought ok so that is what is making me so sick. I had no idea about molds and their byproduct, mycotoxins. I learned that yes the mold can make you sick and cause allergic reactions but the mycotoxins are even worse.
Molds produce mycotoxins which are poisonous to our bodies, can cause multiple illnesses and death. In September 2002 I had my lymphocyte panel checked again. My numbers were not good. The mold mycotoxins were still very much attacking my body. A urine Tricothecene test was ordered to determine what my level was. The test revealed that my level was an 8. The best being 0-1 and the worst being 18. I was diagnosed as having mycotoxicosis referring to the poisoning from exposure to mycotoxins. The mycotoxins can potentially cause acute and chronic health effects including weakened immune systems from ingestion, skin contact and inhalation.
Two years later while on a return visit to the Environmental Health Center-Dallas, Dr. Rea told me about another test for mycotoxins using DNA testing on mucous and or tissue samples. I became ill with a sinus infection while there and we collected mucous from the sinus and had it tested. The machine detects DNA of molds and mycotoxins. We were checking for Tricothecene since that was high in my urine. The lowest detectable level of the machine is .02 ppb. The level in my sinuses was quite high at 11.54 ppb. Dr. Rea then suggested that I speak with the doctor doing this test about checking tissue of my ovaries taken during my hysterectomy in 2003.
As soon as I returned home I contacted the hospital in Dallas and requested that samples be sent to the Environmental Health Center for testing. The report I got back was unbelievable. The level of mycotoxins in my ovary was 125 ppb. The sample had to be diluted because there was so much the machine couldn’t count it. No wonder I was sick. No wonder the count went down right after the hysterectomy and I became so sick from ridding my body too quickly of the mycotoxins.
Since that time my urine Tricothecene level has bounced back and forth. It seems to be higher when my fungal sinus infections are bad because the fungus has taken over my sinuses. The Tricothecenes are stuck in my cells (kind of like velcro is how it was explained to me) and periodically I am able to release them.
There are many different mycotoxins produced by different species of molds.