Monday, September 3, 2012
Today I tried another gluten-free recipe using almond and coconut flour from http://elanaspantry.com. I decided to make the Chocolate Almond Joy Bars. The recipe can be found at http://www.elanaspantry.com/chocolate-almond-joy-bars/. I have printed it below:
Chocolate Almond Joy Bars
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, coconut milk, almond extract and palm sugar
- In a smaller bowl, combine almond flour, coconut flour, salt and baking soda
- Mix dry ingredients into wet with a handheld mixer
- Stir in ½ cup of the chocolate chips
- Grease an 8×8 inch Pyrex baking dish
- Pour batter into dish, then sprinkle shredded coconut and remaining chocolate chips on top
- Bake at 350° for 30 minutes
- Cool for 1 hour
I am avoiding chocolate as much as possible because of my mold free diet. I substituted carob chips in place of the chocolate and used organic cane sugar because I didn’t realize the recipe called for coconut palm sugar and I really wanted to make them.
The result was amazing. These bars are light and delicious. You can taste the flavors of coconut, almond and carob (my chocolate substitute) in each bite. I don’t think anyone would even know they were gluten-free if they were not told.
For those of you considering going gluten-free or who are already living gluten-free either by choice or because of Celiac’s disease, I encourage you to check out Elana’s Pantry at the site address above.
I realize that this makes two posts in the same day but I am anxious to share this recipe and the site I obtained it from.