Yes it can in my opinion! My home was cross contaminated from my workplace. I unwittingly brought mold and mycotoxins into my home via my clothes, shoes, purses and even my hair.
There are so many schools of thought on this and opinions from those who have experienced mold exposure and having to leave their home/work environment, from those who do remediation, from doctors and scientists who specialize in mold and their mycotoxins, and from those who have no understanding of mold at all.
What I believe is that when you leave your home that is contaminated with mold and their toxins (mycotoxins) and take your belongings with you, you are without realizing it cross contaminating your new environment. The mold spores and mycotoxins get spread through the air as clothing and furniture are brushed against other things in moving them from place to place. The fan on your computer puts air out and dust that came from your contaminated environment.
Some believe that you only need to leave your paper, cloth furniture, clothing or porous items behind. Others believe you need to also not take your computer, refrigerator or other electronics that may have dust in them from the previous home or office. There are those that believe if a piece of wood furniture has a hard seal on it, it can be saved by wiping down with ammonia and possibly spraying more sealer over the wood surfaces. Others have had success in keeping their clothing by washing them in ammonia which Dr. William Croft believes can kill the mycotoxins.
I learned about the ammonia and clothing long after I had gotten rid of mine. Although for my own piece of mind, I don’t think I would have kept my clothes and taken a chance that it would work for me. After going through all that I have and still deal with today as a result of my mold exposure, the thought of doing something and risking that the mold/mycotoxins are not being completing killed off is not something I want to do. Risking a re-exposure and worsening of my conditions is just a risk I cannot personally take. Not only have I had to throw away clothes from my home that I had either worn to work or washed with the work clothes or stored with the clothes, I have had to throw away clothes after exposures in defense doctor appointments.
This question has been posed in search engines that have led others to my blog. To those who follow my blog and who have experienced mold exposure and cross contamination, I would love to hear your responses to this question.
DISCLAIMER: I am not a doctor, mold remediation specialist or expert in the area of mold and mycotoxins. Anything I say is just my opinion based on my own experiences.
Posted in Cross Contamination, Environmental Illness, Mold, Mold Exposure, Mycotoxins, Sick Buildings
Tagged can my home be cross contaminated, cross contamination, environmental illness, fungal infections, mold, mold exposure, mold toxins, mycotoxins, sick building
Me wearing my mask.
I have watched as little children innocently ask their mothers this very question. The answers vary from a mother suddenly noticing that I have a mask on and answering I don’t know to a mother replying maybe she is sick and doesn’t want to get us sick. My chemical sensitivities are such that to be able to go into the grocery store for a short period I must wear a charcoal mask to lessen the severity of what I breathe in and lessen my reactions to those chemicals. I have had people see me and suddenly veer off in a different direction for fear that I could spread some dreaded disease to them when in fact they are the ones I am protecting myself from (the cologne, laundry soaps, fabric softeners, etc.). When I was in Dallas in 2003 a friend and I who also wears a mask had made an excursion to window shop at a store we had seen that had very nice clothes in the window. We decided to stop because she wanted to see if she thought she could tolerate the clothes or if the store would be too fragrant for her to be able to get the smells out of the clothes. I write about this in my book.
By this time Lisa had begun gaining weight and needed clothes. We had driven by this store that featured clothes in the window that she thought might be safe for her. We decided to stop by there one morning. So here we were both in our masks knocking on the door to get the clerk’s attention. We finally got her attention and asked her to come to the door. We wanted to ask her if she would be willing to bring something out for us to look at. She cautiously opened the door; the whole time she kept looking at us in our masks and back to her register. I think she thought for sure that we were going to rob her. When we explained why we wearing the masks, she was very accommodating. There was also a time when we were standing outside another store waiting for a clerk to bring something out and a man approached us and asked why we were wearing masks. We tried to explain it to him. So, he said you are allergic to perfume and we just said yes. As he walked away he asked if we were sisters because we both had on masks. That generated a good laugh by both of us.
The mask presents many issues. In winter it causes my glasses to fog up. In warm weather the heat from wearing the mask is so stifling that I feel as if I could pass out.
Posted in Allergic to Life: My Battle for Survival, Courage and Hope, Environmental Illness, Excerpts From Book, Mold Exposure, Multiple Chemical Sensitivity
Tagged charcoal mask, chemicals, environmental illness, fungal infections, mcs, mold, multiple chemical sensitivity, mycotoxins